Do you intend to pursue a career in Environmental Impact Assessment? If yes, let’s walk you through some environmental impact assessment training courses suitable for you.
Environment Impact Assessment jobs are among the top well-paying jobs in the field of environmental sciences. To become a proficient assessor, there is a need to undergo as many environmental impact assessment training courses as you can. These courses will keep you updated on what is obtainable in EIA on the local and international levels. They also qualify you to climb the ladder of your career as an EIA assessor from the beginners to the advanced levels.
Do not forget that the more qualifications you have, the more job opportunities you get because nobody wants to accept a newbie to handle a major project.
Most of these courses are very easy to get. Requirements are fair, with a convenient course duration. Some can be taken online while others require your physical presence at the institutions where you will have your classes. For the latter, having a visa will be a prerequisite if also, you are coming in from a foreign country.
What is Environmental Impact Assessment?
The United Nations Environment Development Program defines Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) as a tool used to identify the environmental, social, and economic impacts of a project before decision-making.
Environmental Impact Assessment is a study carried out on proposed projects to confirm if they will affect the environment on which they will be carried out positively or negatively. If a project will have a negative impact,
EIA process also decides on measures to reduce the level of impact. When this cannot be achieved, the EIA process requires that the project be canceled or replaced by a more environment-friendly one.
Importance of Environmental Impact Assessment Training Courses
- Environmental impact assessment training courses save the environment from continual deterioration as damaging projects are canceled
- Environmental impact assessment training courses also help in strengthening the tools and skills developing countries and countries in transition require to improve the quality of their environment.
- EIA training courses enlighten policymakers on how to consider the environment during development planning and decision-making processes.
- When EIA participants (especially stakeholders) undergo environmental impact assessment training courses, they make quality decisions on activities that will be permitted in their environment.
- Knowledge of the EIA process through environmental impact assessment training courses reduces the level of conflict experienced during a public hearing.
- Environmental impact assessment training courses keep decision-makers, project proponents, and other decision-makers aware of their specific roles in the EIA process.
- Environmental impact assessment training courses produce competent professionals who effectively implement EIA systems.
- Environmental impact assessment training courses keep participants updated on new environmental regulations, policies, and guidelines.
How to Apply for Environmental Impact Assessment Training Courses
It is very easy to apply for environmental impact assessment training courses online. You can follow these steps:
1. Search for upcoming or ongoing EIA training courses. You can start with those listed in this article.
2. Consider the factors stated in this article. They will guide you in choosing a course suitable for you.
3. For postgraduate environmental impact assessment training courses, be sure you have your relevant undergraduate degree certificate already.
4. For training courses that will require your traveling to a foreign country, you will need your travel documents. Some institutions also require proficiency in the use of English. You will therefore need to pass tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
5. Log onto the training websites and click the ‘apply’ icon to start your application.
Top 10 Environmental Impact Assessment Training Courses
- Environmental Impact Assessment Certificate of Credit
- Environmental Impact Assessment Online Learning Platform
- MEVE-001: Environmental Impact Assessment for Environmental Health
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Practical Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Course
- Online Training on EIA: A Requirement Beyond Clearance
- MSc Environmental Assessment & Management
- Graduate Diploma in Bio-environmental Monitoring and Assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Audit
- MSc Environmental Impact Assessment and Management
- Environmental Impact Assessment Training (Advanced)
1. Environmental Impact Assessment Certificate of Credit
Program level: Postgraduate
Institution: University of Derby
Duration: Part-time: 10 weeks
Financials: Paid. £905 (UK fee), £905 (International fee).
This program is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM). The program covers environmental impact assessment training courses offered by the University of Derby. It is suitable for intending and existing environmental management professionals.
The course is a 20-credit module course that will equip you with knowledge of international standards of conducting Environmental Impact Assessment and the latest changes in EIA regulation and guidelines.
The program also gives you opportunity to the opportunity to enhance your CPD, build your professional portfolio and experience their Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) accredited courses. When you complete the course, you will be eligible to register for graduate membership of CIWEM.
Click here to register
2. Environmental Impact Assessment Online Learning Platform
Program level: Any
Institution: Not applicable
This is an online learning platform. The environmental impact assessment training courses offered here cover topics from introduction to EIA to the 7 EIA steps. For each step taught, the course includes practical examples from international development banks and selected Central American countries.
The environmental impact assessment training courses taught here are designed to educate EIA trainers and participants. Participants here include junior policy-makers and EIA developers in public and private agencies.
Resources used here are extracted from the open educational resource “Environmental Impact Assessment: Course Module,” published in 2007 by the United Nations University (UNU), United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), and RMIT University.
To know more about this course, click here
3. MEVE-001: Environmental Impact Assessment for Environmental Health
Program level: Any
Institution: Indira Gandhi National Open University
Duration: 12 weeks
Financials: Free with paid certificate available
This course covers the various steps involved for various developmental activities in Environmental Impact Assessment. It is a 4 credit course that focuses on environmental impact assessment for environmental health.
Click here for more information.
4. Environmental Impact Assessment
Program level: Undergraduate/Postgraduate
Institution: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee and NPTEL via Swayam
Duration: 12 weeks
This course does not require any prerequisites. It has been designed to equip students with knowledge on the history, need structure, process, involved methods, and challenges of environmental impact assessment. As you take this course, you will also learn the criteria for selecting methods for impact assessment, an overview of methods, parameters for public participation ad techniques for writing reports.
Just like most environmental impact assessment training courses have specific niches, this course is designed for students and professionals of Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Rural Planning, Environmental Planning, Transportation Planning, Disaster Management, Life Sciences, and Civil Engineering.
This course is also supported by NEERI, NABET, GREEN Ultratech Environmental Consultancy and Laboratory, Green India Consulting, SECON, SLR, MANVIT, AEPPL, Umwelt Technologies India Pvt. Ltd Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
Follow this link to register.
5. Practical Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Course
Program level: Any
Institution: Hsetrain Int’l Ltd
Location: Online and offline (Port Harcourt, Lagos, and Abuja)
Duration: 2 days (10:00 am – 3:00 pm Daily)
Financials: N40,000 (Flexible payment plan)
This training is among the environmental impact assessment training courses offered in Nigeria. The course syllabus covers topics such as Introduction to environmental impact assessment, EIA laws and regulations, and How to conduct EIA via the 7 steps. Mock EIA practical exercise and final assessment will be carried out at the end of the classes.
Target students are people with environmental management responsibilities like project managers, oil and gas contractors, civil engineers, Community Liaison Officers (CLO), environmentalists, NGOs, etc
On completion of the course, you will be certified as an Environment Impact Assessor. You will also be able to take part in conducting an environmental impact assessment that meets regulatory standards.
Click here to enroll.
6. Online Training on EIA: A Requirement Beyond Clearance
Program level: Any
Institution: Centre for Science and Environment
Duration: Not disclosed
Financials: Not disclosed
Unlike other environmental impact assessment training courses listed in this article, registration for this training has closed as at the time this article was written. You can however check the Centre for Science and Environment website to keep yourself to keep up with information on upcoming courses.
The training is designed for industry professionals; environmental consultants; environmental engineers; researchers, academicians, and students aspiring to work in the environment field.
Topics such as Consequences of poor EIA reporting, Methodology for EIA preparation, Methodology for data collection, Analysis of socioeconomic impacts, Preparation of Environmental Management Plans, Review and evaluation of EIA reports, and more are covered in the course.
Click here to get updates about future training sessions.
7. MSc Environmental Assessment and Management
Program level: MSc
Institution: University of East Anglia UEA
Location: Offline at University of East Anglia UEA
Duration: 1 year
This course provides you the opportunity to learn from international experts how to properly evaluate the potential impacts of proposed policies, plans, or projects, drawing on best practices from around the world.
During this course also, you as a student will investigate case studies to clearly illustrate how environmental assessment works to deliver more sustainable outcomes.
To learn more, click here
8. Graduate Diploma in Bio-environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Program level: Graduate Diploma
Institution: Trent University
Location: Online and offline
Duration: 8 months
As part of environmental impact assessment training courses offered by the university, this course provides a foundational understanding of the principles, technical aspects, and human dimensions of environmental monitoring and assessment.
For this program, you are free to choose between part-time and full-time options. Six courses are to be completed online. Click here to apply.
9. Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Audit
Program level: Postgraduate
Institution: Africa Nazarene University
Location: Online and offline at Leah T. Marangu Ongata Rongai
Duration: Not disclosed
This environmental impact assessment training course is provided by the Department of Environment and Natural Resource Management at Africa Nazarene University.
Courses are taught according to NEMA 2003 Curriculum, the environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Audit Regulations 2003, and UNEP’s and UNIDO’s approaches.
Trainers, practitioners, managers, decision-makers, and environmental regulators are those for whom this training has been designed.
A minimum bachelor’s degree in any field of specialization is required from anyone interested in enrolling for the course.
Taking environmental impact assessment training courses gives you ample privilege of obtaining a postgraduate certificate in EIA and Environmental audit.
10. MSc Environmental Impact Assessment & Management
Program level: MSc
Institution: The University of Manchester
Location: The University of Manchester
Duration: 24 months part-time / 12 months full-time
This coursework among other environmental impact assessment training courses is specially designed to prepare you for professional practice in environmental assessment at both the project level (environmental impact assessment) and the strategic level (strategic environmental assessment).
Teaching and learning methods adopted include small group teaching and guided one-to-one supervision, special sessions, and site visits.
The program is aimed at developing your project management skills, including team working and writing professional reports, and developing your analytical and communication skills.
Apply for this course here
11. Environmental Impact Assessment Training (Advanced)
Program level: Advanced
Institution: Fothergill Training and Consulting Ltd
Environmental impact assessment training courses have been organized by Fothergill Training and Consulting Ltd every year since 2018. That of 2021 was a two-day conference in Scotland. Sponsors of this program were IEMA, Lichfields, SSE Renewables, and SWECO.
The training institute coordinates and chairs Scotland’s annual Environmental Impact Assessment Conference, in partnership with the Scottish Government, HES, NatureScot and SEPA. You can have access to the past training materials on their website.
If you are building a career in environmental management, Environmental Impact Assessment is a good field to specialize in. There are a lot of institutions that offer training courses in this field. These training courses will help build you in your chosen career and put you in a position where you can fit into job opportunities.
In a wider view, environmental impact assessment training courses help all participants make well-informed decisions during the E.I.A process.
To be a part of any of these training courses, you simply visit the websites of your choice institutions and fill their application forms. Also, be sure you have all requirements they demand you meet.
- 7 Principles of Environmental Management
- 5 Top Universities for Environmental Engineering
- 6 Top Universities for Environmental Science in the UK
- Top 9 Eco-Friendly Companies in Canada
- HOW TO CURB THE CONTINUOUS ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION AS A RESULT OF OIL POLLUTION
- List Of Environmental Agencies In Nigeria – updated
- Top 17 Philippine Environmental Laws